Monday, September 13, 2010

English and DLT/SLT

I have been thinking about many different ways I can teach a lesson that is informed by both DLT and SLT.  I think it would be easier to use SLT because English is a good subject to use this theory.  First, it is a language and SLT deals with language and how it is used to learn.  With the vocabulary and grammar aspect of that subject I will have word things in a way that they can understand.  I guess that is where DLT comes in.  I will have to relate the subject to them in a concrete way.  The best way to do this would be to relate it to them.  Using metaphors and similes that make sense to them will help me do this.  I will use the more knowledgeable peer to help the students learn from one another.  It will be more beneficial for them when I break them into groups.

Each student's ZPD is different and I have to determine where to start on the "concrete scale" that will be beneficial for the entire class.  The way I can make things concrete will not be by having them do things, but making things relate to their lives.  The more I can connect the content we are covering to their lives, the better they will understand the material.  I know English will give me a run for my money when it comes to making things concrete but I think they will learn better from each other.  The more knowledgeable peer will be my tool in their education.

5 comments:

  1. Sarah, I really like your ideas. English is a hard subject to find a concrete level. I feel like you have done a really good job of finding this. Professor Kruse mentioned something the other day that I found really helpful, there will always be a way to find a concrete level. I think if all teachers keep that in mind, we will all be better teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand where you are coming from. I have struggled with ways in which i could make teaching foreign languages concrete. Language in itself is abstract. Your idea of using similes and metaphors to relate to the students is a good idea. You could also use acting and skits to make literature more concrete as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some good ideas, and it's okay if you're still not sure quite yet how to make it concrete for your students. I think it will all depend on what exactly you are teaching them. I like your comment that you want to make it relative to their lives. I'm not completely sure what exactly you mean by "doing things." Definitely allow them to use their imaginations and play around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post it sounds like for English SLT would be very useful to draw strategies from. I agree about your first point, I believe for some subject areas trying to emphasize DLT ideas may actually hinder a students ability to understand a concept. If we have as teachers have to think really really hard for a way to make some sort of concrete connection for a subject we might be defeating the purpose. By nature some subjects are more abstract than others. It may in fact be best to start more on the abstract side because they will always be on that side of the spectrum anyway. I don't know just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what others have written, that English is difficult to make concrete. Depending on what grade you plan on teaching, you try making learning the parts of sentences into a game. Tape a word or a part of a sentence onto students and have themselves or the other students put them in the correct order. While this is not the most concrete, I think I would be a fun way for students to be hands on while learning english.

    ReplyDelete